Selling refurbished products is a trend that is here to stay and, with the help of this article, you can fully understand why this has become the preferred alternative for many users. The mix of price saving, the crazy pace at which technology advances, and environmental awareness has become the perfect scenario for choosing these types of products more and more.
What are refurbished products?
Refurbished products are just what their name implies, items that have already had a previous useful life. But it is important to understand the condition in which these products can be found.
At BigBuy, you can find products that are practically new and unused (single units, customer returns where the product has not been used but the packaging has been opened, etc.), right through to products that have been used more but that are in good condition.
Often, as occurs with electronic devices, the pieces or elements that aren’t working are replaced to make the product practically brand new.
How can you find out what condition they are in?
Some time ago, we wrote quite a detailed article on the condition of BigBuy products, but we’ll give you a brief explanation here so that you can easily recognise the five conditions for refurbished products:
- A+: unused. These are products whose original packaging may have been opened or replaced.
- A: practically new. These items are in impeccable condition, but their original packaging may have been opened, somewhat damaged or replaced.
- B: very good. These products work perfectly, with possible slight aesthetic imperfections and their original packaging may have been opened or somewhat damaged.
- C: good condition. Products in good condition, with possible aesthetic imperfections and their packaging may have been opened or somewhat damaged.
- D: correct. These are items that work well, but which have aesthetic imperfections or an accessory is missing and their original packaging may have been opened or somewhat damaged.
Position yourself as a sustainable business: why selling refurbished products is the most respectful decision for the planet
In order to reduce the amount of waste that we produce on our planet, it is a great solution for products to have a longer useful life. Although refurbished products are not the ultimate solution, there is no doubt that they have a very positive impact on the environment.
We should be aware that the majority of products already begin to leave their mark on the environment right from the manufacturing process until we use them for the first time: water consumption for manufacture, large CO2 emissions, depletion of natural resources, etc. Imagine adding a short useful life to all the above: waste generated – technological, plastic, etc. – without any need to do so.
To take an obvious example, in order to manufacture just one small electrical device (mobile phone, tablet, etc.) you will need more than 300 kg of metals. If we choose refurbished products we are contributing to the cause to reduce waste and the exploitation of natural resource.
Turning waste into a resource is one of the most environmentally-friendly decisions. In fact, a study by the Swedish Institute for Environmental Research states that, each year, the refurbished goods market saves almost 27 kg of CO2 per person. And in Spain in 2020, the refurbished economy enabled the saving of as much plastic as is used to manufacture all the carrier bags used in almost 1.5 years.
And in case you still have any doubts, we explain more advantages, so you can become part of the change and to start winning by selling these types of items.
Other advantages of selling refurbished products
The impact on the planet is an important reason to buy and sell refurbished products, but these items also have other advantages:
- Price: the considerable price saving is another decisive factor for choosing them. Price is always one of the main factors regarding a user’s decision whether or not to buy.
- Trend: increasingly, more people are buying these items, whether because of sustainability, because they are original, exclusive, or because they have been discontinued, etc.
- Guarantee: The majority of refurbished items have the same guarantee as new ones so that people can buy them with total peace of mind.
Conclusion: refurbished items are an alternative with a real impact
The impact of refurbished products is much more significant than it seems. With these, we are not just saving money, but we are also saving raw materials, water, waste, carbon emissions, pollution, plastics and a very long etc. And customers appreciate this. In fact, the figures for this market are extremely positive:
- 60% of consumers are in favour of buying used products and giving them a new lease of life.
- In the next five years, an annual increase of approximately 20% is expected for the refurbished market.
Today, consolidated ecommerce already view sustainability as a clear trend and position refurbished products as a first purchase choice. In this market, the most commonly searched for categories are: technology and electronics, home and garden, clothing and sports.
To become part of this market is to fully enter the circular economy, a new form of consumption that is much more responsible and which consumers are increasing thinking about.
Everything we have read in this article makes it clear, doesn’t it? There are a multitude of reasons, and tons of pollution, to encourage us to start selling refurbished products!